Christopher Charles (Jamo) Jamison
Claim this Obituary
Hermosa Beach, CA and Rockport, MA - Chris Jamison passed away at Providence Little Company of Mary Hospital in Torrance, Calif. on March 3 at 2:46 a.m. due to complications from diabetes. He developed an infection that turned gangrenous, leading to widespread infections and organ failure.

Chris was born at Roosevelt Hospital in NYC on March 19, 1977. He was a gift from God from the day he was born. Like his grandfather and mother before him, he strived for excellence in everything he did.

Chris played a good goalie for the Cape Ann Youth Hockey for many years. Then goalie for four more years with the Rockport Vikings team. He liked those "do or die" positions - doing those splits, making those great saves, and winning the game. He also was the assistant chef for the Hannah Jumper Restaurant on Tuna Wharf in Rockport and a waiter at Jalapeno's Mexican Restaurant in Gloucester.

When he was in the seventh grade, he insisted that his friend Crispin Boulter be taken in. Crispin was his soul brother, and Chris always loved him very much. That same year, he picked up the classical guitar in the dining room and played "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin note for note. Nobody had ever heard him play anything before. When Chris was in the eighth grade, camcorders were just coming on the market. His mother would check it out of Rockport High School on the weekends, and Chris would make videos of his Brittany spaniel Blanche who had just given birth to eight puppies. The next time he used a camcorder, he was making music videos at Rivers Edge Productions. When he was a Junior at RHS, he found a lute and taught himself to play it for a musical production. When he was a Senior at RHS, he learned Verdi's "Requiem" the night before he played it at his grandfather's memorial service at St. Mary's church in Rockport. He also played at his 1994 RHS graduation.

For vacations, Chris and his mother, Crispin, and various other kids went camping in the White Mountains at the Dolly Copp campgrounds - the furthest north in the national forest - for a week each summer for at least six years. They hiked the Presidential Range, except for Mt. Washington, and the Franconia Range. They enjoyed many memorable camping experiences together.

By taking violin lessons in the second grade, he learned how to read music. After graduation, Chris went to the Berklee School of Music in Boston majoring in guitar. To get into Berklee, he submitted a cassette, where he wrote the music, played every instrument, recorded it with a four-track tape recorder he was given for a graduation present, and did the artwork for the cover. That's what got him in with scholarship - not his grades. A lot of people can do the work, but very few have the vision and the will to succeed. While going to Berklee, he spent a lot of time with Germaine Beau at her violin repair shop in Harvard Square, where he learned how to play the violin better while making inlay motifs of mother of pearl and abalone shell on the necks of stringed instruments. While in Cambridge MA, he also did a lot of carpentry work for Kitty McPherson. Back on Cape Ann, he learned leather work from Charlie Wagner and did carpentry work with Charlie for a few years after going to Berklee. He and Charlie shared an apartment on Prospect Street. When Charlie died on the operating table, Chris and Christine Kane paid for his ashes, had his memorial service at Cressy Beach, and purchased a plot at Calvary Cemetery where his ashes are buried.

Chris played with Brian Shatford, hosting open mic at Cameron's in Gloucester from 1997 to 2008 and then with the group Third Offense until 2010. When he played with Brian, magic happened. Recordings of his performances were made at Cameron's in 2006, with Walter Peavy on drums, Len Pal on bass, Chris on guitar and vocals, and Brian on vocals and guitar. An acoustic recording of Chris and Brian was also produced in 2020. Chris also played in Third Offense and the King of Clubs - a black soul group that played at Jazzy Joes in Gloucester and at Rockefellers in Salem. Chris also played in Key West Fla., New Orleans La., Nashville Tenn., and Plaistow N.H.

Chris could play any instrument with strings on it - violin, viola, lute, mandolin, banjo, bass, and especially his Les Paul guitar. He was always in tune, and his emphasis and timing were always perfect, as anyone who heard him play knows. Moreover, he knew when not to play. Even his noodlings were magical. He was a soft-spoken, well-mannered, all-around nice guy. When he went out to Hermosa Beach, CA seven years ago, he ran the music and played at Suzy's Bar and Grill.

Besides his performing talents, Chris was an electronics genius, especially with anything in the music industry and computer work. After his stint at Berklee, he got a huge soundboard and taught Steve Palmer how to run it so he could play at Cameron's. While he was playing with Brian Shatford at Cameron's, he and Dave Dow also shared an office at the Para Research Building in Gloucester, where they did computer work for several years. When he moved to Haverhill, he co-founded with Denny Jensen Rivers Edge Productions in a big building on the Merrimac River. They offered audio/video recording, production, promotion, rehearsal space, distribution and more. The King of Clubs and other bands such as Godsmack had their rehearsal spaces there. Chris and Denny kept this enterprise alive for another four years - but always one step ahead of the fire inspector and health inspector - until issues with their landlord ended their run.

Chris was starting to come down with diabetes even before moving to California. When he did make the move, he ended up in the hospital for ten days with his electrolytes all over the map. When they released him, they diagnosed him as having Type I diabetes, where he would have to inject insulin four times a day in order to function. That's a complete lifestyle change, especially for someone as big a health freak as Chris. He hated diabetes and having to inject himself four times a day to function. He did alright for the first three years, but after that, he started to ration his insulin. He went to California to die. He didn't want anyone that he loved the most to see his body deteriorate, not even his own mother. As his Facebook friends know, the last thing he posted was a letter, where he acknowledged all his love for his friends, and he was very sorry that he would not be able to contact them anymore. And that was three years ago. Instead of mourning the tragic way he died, we should instead be celebrating the awesome life he had out east with us. We're overwhelmed by how profoundly he touched so many people. To leave the world and the people he loved the most ... how righteous can you get?

He was pre-deceased by his grandparents Marvin and Patricia Waller of Rockport Mass. and his aunt and uncle, Kim and Albert C. Waller, Jr. of NYC. He is survived by his mother, Susan Waller of Rockport, his uncle and godfather, William H. Waller and his wife Sandra Paille of Rockport, his cousin Benjamin Waller and his son Jacob Stanley Waller of West Cornwall Conn., cousin Matthew Waller of Seattle Wash., cousins Renée Waller of Easthampton Mass. and Julian Waller of Washington D.C., and his adoptive brother Crispin Boulter now in Ecovillage - Colebrook in northernmost N.H.

Ian Flaherty was Chris's good buddy since the age of two. He now lives in Berkeley, Calif.. Last week, he started a Facebook fundraiser on Chris's behalf. In 24 hours, he raised enough money to pay for Chris's cremation, to mail his ashes back to Rockport, and help pay for the celebration that Chris deserves. Any excess funds will be used towards the printing of his grandfather's artbook. Chris was very close to his grandfather, and like his mother, uncle Bill, cousin Ben, and cousin Renée, he believed very strongly in the excellence of his grandfather's drawings and paintings. This is definitely what Chris would want us to do with any excess funds.

The tragedy of Chris's passing so young is enormous, but the gifts he gave in his lifetime definitely outweigh all that grief. His mother knew he was special from the day he was born. She did everything in her power to nurture him and let him grow. Watching him kick ass at Cameron's every week for years was the best gift any mother could get. When he played "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix, tears would roll down her cheeks. His playing was the real deal. But he was more than an unbelievable musician. His expertise, kindness, passion, and zest for life knew no bounds - and were infectious to all who knew him. All our lives were enriched by his existence. He was like a precious jewel, and it was a privilege and honor to raise him.

Chris's passing is a great loss for everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him or seeing him play. We hope that he's playing in heaven, free of pain and the curse of diabetes.

Instead of flowers, further donations can be sent to the Cape Ann Savings Bank, 109 Main St., Gloucester MA 01930 c/o Sue Waller for the Chris Jamison fund, or to the Berklee College of Music, 1140 Boylston St., Boston MA 02215. Or go see some live music and request they play "Lazy" by Deep Purple in memory of Jamo. And especially, cherish your life while you've still got it. There will be a celebration of his life at some later date due to precautions concerning the coronavirus. The five CDs of Chris and Brian at Cameron's 2006 will be available for purchase at the celebration, whenever it occurs. The celebration date and place will be announced in the Gloucester Daily Times.
A celebration of Chris's life will be arranged at a future date.
Published on March 19, 2020


Plant a tree in memory
of Christopher
Plant a tree

Obituary published in

Arrangements by


Print Guestbook

A place to share condolences and memories.
The guestbook expires on June 16, 2020.

Showing 10 of 6 posts

tommy bnice
Mar 23, 2020
sooooosad to hear this he was my neighbor in haverhill ,i will never forget him he was such a kind talented un selfish man .im sure hes still striving for greater things in the afterlife and hope to see him in mine xoxoxoxo
Kathy Morris
Mar 21, 2020
Susan, I am so sorry you lost your sweet son. I remember him well from the days when my son, Ian Davey, would jam with him, and play hockey on the Rockport team. Jamo had such a wonderful smile and happy personality. I can't imagine your grief. So, so sorry.
Robb Frontiero
Mar 21, 2020
I had the privilege of rooming with Jamo in East Gloucester for a few years. We bonded over Family Guy, music, video games and just enjoying hanging out. I will always remember his patience as he taught me some carpentry skills as we renovated our apartment. When I was unemployed, he took me under his wing to do some coding for him at his Eastern Ave. office. He may have been soft spoken, but his words and ways carried so much weight. He will be missed tremendously, but I am so grateful to have known him. RIP Jamo, and much love to his Mom, Sue.
Katie Pino & Brian Shatford
Mar 21, 2020
Your going to be missed dearly, you were an amazing person with a great attitude toward life.
Mary Rogers
Mar 19, 2020
Jamo will be greatly missed. A very sweet soul. When in high school, he sometimes would jam with my husband. Will miss him.
Kelsey Sullivan
Mar 19, 2020
Rest in Peace Jamo.